John B. McCusker
Partner and Co-Founder
John B. McCusker
John McCusker, a director and co-founder, represents corporate and individual clients, including Fortune 500 petroleum and pharmaceutical corporations, in employment discrimination, environmental/remediation and complex commercial litigation matters.
In his employment practice, he defends clients against claims of discrimination, retaliation, and Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) and Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) violations, as well as claims by employees through the U.S. Department of Justice’s Civil Rights Division. He also litigates large, complex environmental matters on behalf of major oil companies.
John is an experienced civil and criminal trial attorney in New York and New Jersey. He established his reputation for detail, persistence, work ethic and fine courtroom skills during his years as a prosecutor at the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office, where he tried more than 40 felony cases in 1982-1990, most notably People v. Joel Steinberg. John often teaches trial advocacy, including at the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office.
He has an AV Preeminent™ rating of 5 out of 5 for professional excellence, based on recognition by his peers and as published in the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory, an authoritative resource about the legal profession. As a result, he was selected for inclusion in the New York Area’s Top Rated Lawyers, put out by Martindale-Hubbell and ALM Media, LLC. John also has been selected for inclusion on the New Jersey Super Lawyers© list in 2009-2011 and 2016, based on a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. In addition, he was selected for the 2016 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©, a guide to legal excellence based on peer reviews.
- Villanova University School of Law, J.D., 1982
- Muhlenberg College, B.A., English, 1978, with honors
- Pennsylvania, 2015
- New Jersey, 1990
- New York, 1983
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 2010
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 1996
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1990
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 1990
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Hogan-Morgenthau Alumni organization
- “A New Minefield for Defense Counsel: Celebrity Jurors,” Corporate Counsel magazine (May 2004)
* The AV Preeminent ratings are published by Martindale-Hubbell; its selection methodology is here. The Super Lawyers list is published by Thomson Reuters; its selection methodology is here. The Best Lawyers list is published by Best Lawyers in America and U.S. News & World Report; its selection methodology is here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.