Katherine Riopel Suell
Katherine Riopel Suell
Kate, an associate, concentrates her practice on environmental regulatory, litigation and transactional matters as well as general business/commercial litigation. Kate has counseled clients on environmental issues across a wide range of industries, including pharmaceuticals, real estate, cosmetics, asphalt and cement production, commercial chemical manufacturing, glass manufacturing and petroleum distribution. She has extensive experience representing clients in all manner of complex commercial matters and in administrative and judicial proceedings before state and federal courts, as well as agencies such as the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection.
Kate negotiates stipulations, consent orders and decrees, and prepares all types of environmental agreements, including those for purchase/sale, cost allocation, environmental investigation, indemnification and access. She also has substantial experience representing clients’ interests as members of potentially responsible party (PRP) groups at complex remediation sites. Kate guides clients through site remediation and redevelopment projects throughout the country.
Before joining McCusker, Anselmi, Rosen & Carvelli, she was an environmental law associate with a large general practice law firm in New Jersey and an environmental associate with an international law firm in its New Jersey offices.
Kate was selected for the New Jersey Super Lawyers Rising Stars© List in 2014-2019 for environmental law*.
- Clerkship, Hon. Walter Koprowski Jr., Superior Court, Chancery Division, General Equity and Probate Part, Newark, NJ, September 2009-September 2010
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., 2009
- George Washington University, B.A., American Studies, 2006, cum laude
- New York, 2010
- New Jersey, 2009
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 2013
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York, 2018
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 2019
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 2019
Honors and Awards
- Interscholastic Negotiation Competition Winner, SHU School of Law
- Gressman Moot Court Competition Quarterfinalist, SHU School of Law
- National Society of Collegiate Scholars, George Washington University
- Presidential Achievement Scholarship, George Washington University
- Order of Omega Greek honors society, George Washington University
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- New Jersey Society of Women Environmental Professionals
- New Jersey Women Lawyers Association
- Justice Stewart G. Pollock Environmental American Inn of Court, Barrister
- New Jersey Society of Women Environmental Professionals, Scholarship Chair
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Environmental Law Section
- New York State Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section
- New Jersey Women Lawyers Association, Young Lawyers Division
- New Jersey Law Firm Mentoring Program, Mentor
- Appellate Advocacy Moot Court Board Member; 2007
- Katherine Riopel Suell and David Mairo, “Natural Resource Damages,” in New Jersey Environmental Law Handbook, Eighth Edition, The Berman Press, (2014)